Advertisement

Winter

topic posted Fri, December 5, 2008 - 10:46 AM by  Lea
Share/Save/Bookmark
It is literally freezing here and not very good weather for hooping outside.

I brought my hoop with me to the Y, thinking that I would use the gym. Last week there was room, but this week there were too many basketball players. So I wandered upstairs into an empty racquetball court. It was perfect!

There is nothing like a park on a sunny afternoon with a sparkly hoop. But I think a racquetball court in December will work in the meantime. :-)

What are some other good places to hoop during a cold winter?
posted by:
Lea
offline Lea
Nebraska
Advertisement
  • Re: Winter

Fri, December 5, 2008 - 11:31 AM
    We had a wind chill of -15 yesterday here, so I feel your shivers.

I just spent 2 days re-aranging my house to get more room to hoop in, and If I could just get that pesky ceiling fan down I would be set :)

The Y (or rec center) is good, if the courts are full, there is usually enough room to hoop around the edge of the pool as well.

I you are lucky enough to have a cool boss, you sometimes can hoop at work on your breaks. That works better if you have a job where you work inside :)

As a last resort wear lots of cloths and hoop really fast out in the snow....

Fri, December 5, 2008 - 11:51 AM
      Yeah, guys, I am with you on the cold and it just blows, hate the cold, but a few of us are thinking about renting a space for like a 6 hour hoop jam one afternoon, I find myself getting home at night and feeling so sad that I can't go out and hoop unless I want to freeze my arse off which I don't ;( Ugh, winter, it sure does suck!

Fri, December 5, 2008 - 4:31 PM
      I have those ceiling fan blues, too! There is one in EVERY room in my house. I managed to get enough room on one side of the dining room, if I move the table and the dog's cage to the other side, but the ceiling is already marked up after only one session there!

Oh well...I can paint in the spring, right? LOL!

Fri, December 5, 2008 - 2:04 PM
    Hand hooping/ Isolations is good for the winter because you need less space, and if you DO go outside you can bundle up.

Fri, December 5, 2008 - 9:10 PM
    I wonder if the folks at the mall would mind. They let the Silver Sneakers crowd walk there in the cold weather...

Tue, December 9, 2008 - 5:29 AM
      good idea about practicing vertical hooping. also chest hooping on the knees on the bed.. is do-able. I suggest looking in schools, gyms, and public buildings. We need to infiltrate so hooping is not so unusual. A mall sounds like a good idea to me.

Tue, December 9, 2008 - 6:27 AM
        Hummmmmmm ...... the Mall. If you are a hoop maker/seller you could make some cash while you hoop. tis the season.

Tue, December 9, 2008 - 6:43 AM
    It is so cool to have you all brain storming along with me. I have been doing the same thing for several months now. I am determined to not put my hooping on hold for the winter months. Here are just a few of the things I have come up with. I have thought about talking with dance studios, dojos where they do Karate, the community center, gyms, and even condo's with "extra ammenities", offering to pay for the space I use, just not take any lessons or use any equipment. There are little things keeping me from each one. Too exspensive, full with classes, have to hoop during classes, think I wanna give lessons, and ultimately just not understanding. The answer has to be there. We all just have to make that connection that ultimately make it happen. With all the energy and insight flowing and going, it is bound to happen.
    Gabs

Tue, December 9, 2008 - 7:21 AM
      Yes.
      My recent trip to PA made me realize how good I have it here in NC. Still it has been too cold! :)
      Lobbies of buildings are cold but once you hoop you are warm - they are often spacious.
      I am gonna join the gym. I have resisted. I am not big on weightlifting etc. BUT - they have resisted me and my hoops and all the people begging to let me teach there.. so I am gonna give in and JOIN and just hoop my butt off there. We all need to get out there and just do it wherever we can!
      (I would like to remind everyone to join a Christmas parade and hoop - if you can! It is a great way to share hoop joy in this season!)
    • Unsu...

Re: Winter

Tue, December 9, 2008 - 1:47 PM
      Generally, dance studios rent a floor when then don't have classes for a "floor fee," usually about 5-10 dollars an hour. That's when ballroom dancers practice on their own. I don't see why they wouldn't let a hoop in, but make sure to ask and be careful, there are often many people on a floor at once.

Sat, December 13, 2008 - 6:24 PM
    my downstairs (living room, dining room, kitchen) is one big room, so i had my husband put all the furniture on casters (he's awesome, btw:) so i can roll it all out of the way and have some room to hoop. there's still only room for me, so when the family wants to join in we have to take turns. i've been thinking about asking at my town's municipal building. they have some big rooms in the basement where people have yoga and karate classes, etc. i'm just a little bit nervous to ask, because i think they'll think i'm crazy (i'm pretty much the only person who hoops where i live).

Mon, December 15, 2008 - 10:16 AM
      I feel the same way!! I was able to hoop outside up until it was about -10 but once more snow started coming and the temp. dropped usually -30 i had to move inside.. I found I have a decent amount of space in my living room if the roomies aren't using it, but sometimes i feel like it's a bit restricting. I'm also one of the very few people who hoop where I'm from so I would feel a bit awkward asking for the space..
      but I think it's catching on. I've been bringing the hoop out to rave events and if you leave a few laying around tons of people will have a go.

Wed, December 17, 2008 - 3:09 PM
        did i read that right? -10 degrees? i feel like a real crybaby. i won't go outside to hoop if it's below 50. i just asked municipal building...they said i need a million dollars worth of insurance just to go practice there. that's not happening. i guess my search is not over yet.

Sun, December 14, 2008 - 8:05 PM
    I definitely have to agree about the racquetball courts at the YMCA. My friend Adam told me that he used to hoop there, and the first time I reserved a court for an hour and brought my boombox, I literally pranced all over :-) It's a little crazy because of the echo and the sodium lights, but I came out very very happy. Plus the Y usually has a bunch of free classes to get some hooping inspiration from (like Zumba!).

Mon, December 15, 2008 - 12:26 AM
    I do it in my cramped living room and do a Caroleena trick now and then :) My kids call me Mr. Bang.

Tue, December 16, 2008 - 7:31 AM
      i'm a living room hooper in the winter too. isolations and around the body stuff can be managed in the very center of the room.

Tue, December 16, 2008 - 5:54 PM
    I'm only three weeks in, so I've never had the chance to hoop outside, it's all been in my living room. (And with the current cold front, will stay there until mid-spring). Any mall with a walking program should allow you to hoop in the food court area before the mall opens. Many malls also have conference space they rent out that you might be able to get at a steal (since the smaller rooms aren't rented as often)

The YMCA in Wisconsin has open rooms you can workout alone in as a member, so check your local gyms. The price is usually low and some allow a sliding scale based on income depending on the state.

Check with your local Unitarian Church, they often rent out spaces to different groups, I'm sure someone would be willing to give a small group or individual a special discount to have a hooping space. They may even invite you to introduce it to their congregation.

Check out your local Weight Watchers and other support meetings. Often these groups are renting out the spaces at special discounts and may be able to put you in contact with owners and give a good word, just for attending a free meeting. :)

Other options with conference space, or at least useable space that would be grateful to rent are zoos and museums that often sit neglected in winter. Most "main" libraries are quite large and have extra space they rent out for various functions as well.

~X

Wed, December 17, 2008 - 2:28 PM
      I really panicked went winter set in, but I've rearranged my living room and I can do *most* stuff in there... The ceiling suddenly seems really low though :p I have to watch the light fitting in the centre of the ceiling, so I keep my lifts really low and do less of the arm movements. It's workable, but I can't wait to get back outside and really let loose again!

Recent topics in "Hula Hooping"