Advertisement

First hoop lopsided (not round)... help!

topic posted Tue, April 24, 2007 - 7:52 PM by  Kim
Share/Save/Bookmark
Okay, so I just tried making my first hoop and it turned out somewhat lopsided. It's not completely round and has a somewhat flattened side to it. Is there an easy way to fix this? If not, what did I do wrong and how do I make a hoop that's ROUND?

Help please!
posted by:
Kim
offline Kim
South Dakota
Advertisement
  • Kim, how big is the hoop in diameter? If it's a smaller hoop, sometimes the connectors won't let the tubing come together smoothly and you may need to shorten the connectors.

If it's a larger hoop, it may just be that the tubing was a little warped from how it was stored wherever you bought it. If that's the case, sometimes submerging the hoop in very warm water for a while will help it find its way to a naturally round shape.

That said: congrats on making your first hoop! :)
    • Kim
      Kim
      offline 0
      It's fairly large, a bit past my navel in height. It's possible it was warped a bit... I bought the tubing at Runnings Farm & Fleet (they have it on sale this week, by the way, if anyone is interested), and they store it outside. When you say to submerge it in very warm water, do you mean a section at a time like in the bathtub?

Do you think it would help at all to let the tubing sit for a couple of days inside before I try again? With a 100' roll I have more than enough to try a few times without worrying about wasting tubing - the connectors are only about 50 cents each.

I haven't tried hooping since I was a kid and from what I remember I wasn't all that great at it then... but I'm in dire need of getting into shape and this sounds like a fun way to do it. I have a 16-yo daughter that is also excited about the idea of hoop dancing, so I'm anxious to get a couple of good hoops made so we can get started!
      • Yeah, however might work for you.....if you can do pretty hot water in your tub, and submerge the hoop around and round, giving the warmth a chance to work on the plastic and even gently shaping it with your hands as you go...that might help the tubing just kinda ease itself out of warp and into shape. I'd say also take it out immediately after and lay it flat to be sure that it doesn't start to warp in the other direction (it shouldn't, but just to be safe).

I hope this helps! And if not I'm sure someone else will have another idea that'll work for you. :,)

Good luck!

Recent topics in "Hula Hooping"